If you don’t know what Quinoa is, go here… it is amazing!
I am always looking for high protein meal ideas that have very little carbs in them. Since I LOVE traditional Macaroni and cheese, this seemed like the logical choice for me…. I was right – it is so GOOD!
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup veggies of your choice (optional – I like broccoli and onions together)
- good pinch of salt
- a few grinds of seasoning salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup soy, almond or non-fat milk
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese or jalapeno jack cheese, and ½ cup more for sprinkling on top
- Optional – Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
- Additional toppings (optional) – salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions
- Lightly sauté the garlic together with the veggies of your choice and let cool.
- Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish (or 8 individual ramekins) with cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. Add in your veggies and stir. Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko Crumbs or Bread crumbs add now and bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned. Add additional toppings if desired.